How do I Buy
The question DBA is most frequently asked is something like "How should I go about buying a barge?".
DBA Members answered it by publishing a book - The Barge Buyer's Handbook (BBH). This paperback is available from us for a modest price (by mail order or through the web site). We're not just trying to make a sale: there really is no short and simple answer to the question. Buy it from our Shop
The Barge Buyer's Handbook covers the following topics:
Why buying a barge is a good idea.
- This is to help you persuade your friends you haven't gone off your head.
- What characteristics your barge should have.
- Barges vary enormously in size, style, layout, equipment, etc., and it is very important to decide your specification before you start looking, let alone before you buy. This section advises on the impact and relevance of the choices here.
What it costs to own a barge.
- No, not to buy one, but to keep, run, and maintain it. You don't want to buy something you can't afford to look after.
How the barge market works
- Where to find them, what you are likely to find, and an idea of prices.
How to assess the condition
- of a barge you might buy.
The survey, and other important documents.
- The paperwork necessary to be confident about the soundness of a vessel which may well be over 70 years old, and that the vendor is actually the owner!
How to search for a barge to buy.
- Where they hide, how to work with barge brokers, the possibility of having a new one built, etc.
What's involved in the purchase transaction.
- The conventions of barge dealing in various countries, the commitments, the paperwork, and more on the effect and importance of the survey.
How to get your barge home.
- What do you do if you have do move a 60-tonne vessel 1,000 km, especially if you've never before steered any vessel bigger than an outboard runabout.
As well as being in the book business, DBA is pleased to answer specific questions about barge buying (and most other barge topics). Do get in touch with us if you're unsure (email
- Hits: 18073